Oil pan and steering box armor suggestions?

Thunderhead

All graves go unvisited in time
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Looking for some armor, Oil pan and Steering box, I see the Spider and Teraflex ones, just wondering if y'all had more suggestions

I didn't like the Teraflex, because it bolts to the transmission and uses the transmission as a stress member instead of the frame.
I put a M.O.R.E engine/transmission skid plate on my 1997 TJ. It is ok. I had to clearance it around the front driveshaft. If I could go back in time, I would have bought the Savvy aluminum engine/transmission skid. Mine adds a lot of weight. IIRC the Savvy was similar in cost, maybe a little bit more expensive. Don't waste your money on a steering box armor. If you want something for your steering box. Get a steering box stabilizer. I use the one from Tomken!
https://www.mcssl.com/store/tomken/tmp-0028-b-steering-box-support-

Igoo65

Reactions: Thunderhead
I have a Skid Row engine skid. It's pretty good, well made. You might look at Undercoverfab.com, they have a few options that aren't too expensive. I wouldn't get one that bolts to the engine.

I agree with @Igoo65, the steering skid isn't much use, or at least I've never come close to hitting it. A good thing up front is the ZJ tie rod, the stock tie rod one is much more vulnerable than the steering box.

You might also look into a gas tank skid, that and the engine skid are pretty useful if you are running smaller tires.

I run the Tomkin engine skid. You need at least 3” of suspension lift. Not a price either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Savvy mounted to OEM transfer plate and raised to the high skid setting since I have a MML. Creates a hang point but it will protect my engine until the tummy tuck. Skid mounts to the bottom of engine mounts and also to their Timmy truck trans skid or in my case, OEM.

Savvy gas skid raised to high setting.

20190418_152258.jpg

20190426_103835.jpg

20190425_182733.jpg

Last edited:
I put a Fumoto oil drain plug on at the same time. Haven’t changed oil yet but will be in the next couple months.

Elbow to hook tube to turned down.

535DFA7D-F68A-486C-AF3F-34ED0AA86797.jpeg

Elbow turned up.

FAEE751D-5B6B-44D9-A57B-8B5DF789B7F1.jpeg

I've scraped my steering box a few times. Maybe I should get a skid for it. I know the earlier Saginaw boxes are more vulnerable than the letter Mercedes boxes due to their construction.

A steering box brace is not worth the money. If you are in a place where you need one, you really want hydro-assist to reduce the stress on the box.

Last edited:
I have a Gen-Right steering skid they’re pretty much all the same design from what I’ve seen.
The savvy is a different approach in aluminum

Not sure what I currently have but it has taken some abuse. Its only held on by two bolts and I have been missing one of those bolts for awhile. No sides, just covers the bottom of the steering box. Any protection is better than none.

IMG-1179.JPG

Not sure what I currently have but it has taken some abuse. Its only held on by two bolts and I have been missing one of those bolts for awhile. No sides, just covers the bottom of the steering box. Any protection is better than none.

View attachment 91269

Did you have to mod it with the AR or does it clear?