Spacer bolt stripped

Cooper Smith

No longer have a Jeep :(
Supporting Member
IMG_1300.jpeg
These spacer bolts keep stripping out 🙄. Any advice on how to get the stripped ones out? Can I get the wheel hub off with the spacers still on? I can still get to the axle nut.

• Wow
Reactions: MikeE024
Can I get the wheel hub off with the spacers still on? I can still get to the axle nut.

Yes, you should be able to remove the whole hub, just 3 bolts on the back side.
I've never seen spacers mounted like that.
Guessing they removed the original hub studs?
Wait, what axle is that?

Reactions: Bigfoot-NM
So the hex drive is stripped? Might have to put a weld tack or 2 on each one to get them out, grind it off with a zip wheel and move on to the next one. Then replace all the bolts if you plan to re-use the spacers. Maybe you used to small of a hex? Metric vs. SAE or opposite?

I would hope with that sketchy AF setup there is some red Locktite involved. You will need to put some heat to the head of the screw to get it to release.

If you are going to weld something to it, grind the head of the screw and what you are welding to it clean. And burn it in hot so you get some penetration or its just going to come off.

Or, cut off all you can of the outer spacer to expose the heads of the screws. And grab the heads with big visegrips or channel locks.

I would just buy new hubs and rotors and throw that whole mess in the trash complete.

Reactions: Cooper Smith
I would hope with that sketchy AF setup there is some red Locktite involved. You will need to put some heat to the head of the screw to get it to release.

If you are going to weld something to it, grind the head of the screw and what you are welding to it clean. And burn it in hot so you get some penetration or its just going to come off.

Or, cut off all you can of the outer spacer to expose the heads of the screws. And grab the heads with big visegrips or channel locks.

I would just buy new hubs and rotors and throw that whole mess in the trash complete.

Yeah… now I’m just worried about the rears… There was just a tiny bit of red loctite. I did get one out. So I’m hoping because the rears are drums no one’s attempted to take them off yet… it’s a newer lift from the PO. Other wise I may have to pull a clip and pull the axle out and just replace it if those heads are stripped.

Since I try and always update with my fix, I did get a few stripped bolts out. Eventually I got sick of the extractors popping off and drilling the head out so I just replaced the hubs. Easy enough. Will tackle the rears tomorrow.

You've put in a lot of work on this rig. I hope it's coming together (at least from a safety standpoint).