TJ with acceleration issues after sitting 3 years

BDub7473

TJ family,
I am here for help and guidance. Bear with me as I start from the beginning and get you caught up to my problem today.

Early during Covid (June 2020) I bought a gently wrecked (I have pics) TJ for good price. During a heavy rain coupled with bald tires it had hydroplaned off the road and ran through some young pine trees. The grill, front bumper, both front fenders, hood, driver door and driver cowl were damaged along with various other dents and dings. The TJ still ran and drove and the only issue I could find was the alignment was off. I drove it for about a year before the water pump went out and I decided to pull it into the garage and start the restoration with a 3/4 tank of gas. In addition to the water pump and thermostat, I also decided to replace the valve cover gasket and radiator. To make the under hood work easier I went ahead and removed both front fenders, the hood and grill.

Long story short, it has taken me almost 3 years to buy all the parts, install them and get it back together. I also worked on the interior, top, new wheels and tires,
and other things. Prior to cranking my TJ for the first time in almost 3 years I used a jumper on the fuel pump relay to run the fuel pump and pump out all the old gas. I replaced the spark plugs, changed the oil and filter and filled the tank with gas and fuel injector cleaner.

On April 1, 2024 I cranked it for the fist time in about 3 years and it started right up and ran like a top. Within. A few minutes there was an intermittent rattle on the left side of the motor as I am facing the radiator. It sounded like a a solenoid opening a closing on an 80’s Chevy if you know the sound. It was just a couple of tap, tap very 20 seconds or so. After it warmed up I drove it to the store for a celebratory 15 pack of cold beer then drive it home with no issues,

A few days later I take it out to to get additional miles on it and right as it reaches 2nd gear around 20 mph it starts to buck and stumble trying to accelerate and the more gas I gave it the worse it got and the check engine light began to blink. I feathered the gas to get past 20 mph and it did the same around 40 mph and then all hell breaks loose at 60 mph and of course the check engine light stops blinking and stays on. I pulled the codes and it came back with P0300, P0302, P0305 and P0456. I have been reading and searching for answers and don’t know where to start. It could be the throttle position sensor, the crankshaft position sensor, the camshaft position sensor, idle air control, MAP sensor, oil drive pump assembly, O2 sensors, fuel pump, coils packs and spark plugs. I did check the plugs and they are good. I made sure the coil packs were on the plugs tight. I disconnected the negative battery cable for a while and then reconnected it and started it again. Now the the rattle on the left side is continuous and no longer intermittent and as I accelerate there is vibration in the gas pedal and drive train, initially there was no bucking or stumbling while accelerating but now it is back at it with all these symptoms.

Please help me with this acceleration issue if you can, I can provide pictures and videos it’s sound if you need them.

You did a good job with all that you replaced or checked already. When you say “left side as I’m facing the radiator” do you mean passenger side?
One thing that comes to mind since it was sitting for so long is to pull the whole air intake out and make sure nothing made a little nest in there. If you’re lucky that rattle is a bunch of acorns bouncing off the throttle body. Better pluck ‘em out before they make it through the butterfly!

Edit: BTW I think “Gently wrecked” is my new favorite term!

Reactions: Steel City 06
Excellent job! We need pictures!

I'd replace the crank position sensor or at least pull yours and inspect. Very possible mice got up in there.

I'd also clean the IAC.

-Mac

Sounds like there is a lot going on , but if it sat for that long with gas in the tank is it possible that whatever didn't get pumped out is now mixed in with the new gas and clogging up the filter?

And honestly you might just want to run 2-3 tanks of gas through it and drive it like you stole it. Before you start chasing things and taking stuff apart.

-Mac

And honestly you might just want to run 2-3 tanks of gas through it and drive it like you stole it. Before you start chasing things and taking stuff apart.

-Mac

If I was going to take anything apart in this scenario, I would drop that fuel tank and clean the fire out of it. Maybe not literally "the fire," but maybe?

Thank you all for the replies and guidance!

Blown catalytic converter?
maybe? it seems to run fine (outside of the rattle on the passenger side) and doesn't have the accelerating issue after I remove the negative battery cable and it resets. but then after 20 plus miles or so the acceleration issues comes back with all the codes.

You did a good job with all that you replaced or checked already. When you say “left side as I’m facing the radiator” do you mean passenger side?
One thing that comes to mind since it was sitting for so long is to pull the whole air intake out and make sure nothing made a little nest in there. If you’re lucky that rattle is a bunch of acorns bouncing off the throttle body. Better pluck ‘em out before they make it through the butterfly!

Edit: BTW I think “Gently wrecked” is my new favorite term!
i should have said passenger side rather than left side. I removed the throttle body and cleaned it well. i looked in the intake and didn't see anything.

Excellent job! We need pictures!

I'd replace the crank position sensor or at least pull yours and inspect. Very possible mice got up in there.

I'd also clean the IAC.

-Mac
pics when wrecked vs now? I believe I cleaned the IAC when i took the throttle body off and cleaned it.

Also, fill in your Jeep's info.
could you point me in the direction to do this? this is my first post.

2004 TJ Sport 4.0 with less than 140k miles

Sounds like there is a lot going on , but if it sat for that long with gas in the tank is it possible that whatever didn't get pumped out is now mixed in with the new gas and clogging up the filter?
if could have a fuel pump or injector issue, just wonder why it runs fine (outside of the rattle on the passenger side) and doesn't have the accelerating issue after I remove the negative battery cable and it resets. but then after 20 plus miles or so the acceleration issues comes back with all the codes.

-Mac
I am about to do my second fill up. should I use high octane gas with a fuel treatment of somekind?

If I was going to take anything apart in this scenario, I would drop that fuel tank and clean the fire out of it. Maybe not literally "the fire," but maybe?
If the forum will let me I will post a video with sound (if i can figure out how to do it) this afternoon so everyone can hear the "rattle" on the passenger side. I read somewhere that the oil drive pump assembly will make a sound like a tapping noise when it starts to go out. it was a random rattle and now it is constant and rises and falls with the revving of the engine. The "rattle" or "tapping" sounds similar to tapping on the outside of and empty drum or can.

Reactions: macleanflood
Go to your profile and fill in the info under About:
1715978074815.png

You can get an automotive stethoscope and use it to pinpoint better where the noise is coming from. (A long dowel with your thumb on the end and press thumb against your ear flap will work ok as well) You move the tip of the scope from point to point on the engine looking for the noise to get louder…

Rocker arm?

Or maybe the coil is arcing?

Doesn't sound like the leaky lifter I had in my YJ.

If it's the cam sensor, you should be able to feel it.

Thank you sir!

Rocker arm?

Or maybe the coil is arcing?

Doesn't sound like the leaky lifter I had in my YJ.

If it's the cam sensor, you should be able to feel it.
It sure sounds like it is coming from the area near the cam sensor but I don’t feel anything when I touch it. I also can see any visible arching in that area.

Reactions: Apparition