What is the best way to buy a car in Texas from out of state?

I don't know how they are in Mich. but if it's like here be sure to be sitting down when you go to the tag office. I about had coronary lock up when she said " that'll be $1483 " :eek: :eek: :eek: . just warning ya, they about had to get the defibulator

Michigan is 6% sales tax🤷‍♂️ On whatever is put in the “sale price “ box😉😉
It is perfectly legal to drive a newly purchased car directly to your home without a tag. You do need a signed title and probably a good idea to have a written recipt

Reactions: John Cooper
It is perfectly legal to drive a newly purchased car directly to your home without a tag. You do need a signed title and probably a good idea to have a written recipt

a title is not necessary but a bill of sale is. what if someone has a loan on a vehicle ? it can take over a week for them to get the title. you can find printable bills of sale on the internet. I think he said it was at a dealer, trust me he will have 2 bills of sale 1 for you and 1 for him to cover his ass

Colorado used to be like that. But since it became East California, the gubmint no long trusts its citizens. Now the state charges tax on what they think your vehicle is worth. Plus fees, of course, lots and lots of fees. You should hope Michigan doesn't go the same way.

Colorado used to be like that. But since it became East California, the gubmint no long trusts its citizens. Now the state charges tax on what they think your vehicle is worth. Plus fees, of course, lots and lots of fees. You should hope Michigan doesn't go the same way.

I’m afraid that Michigan is going the way of California, Colorado, etc😞

• Angry
Reactions: John Cooper
Colorado does. I don't know about other states. You could check with each state you're going to pass through.

My statement about "most states..." was from checking with each state I passed through ahead of time. In fact, for the states I drove through, none allowed traveling through without a permanent or temporary registration. And one of them was Texas, the OP's starting point.

Reactions: matkal
If I remember correctly, my insurance will cover a vehicle for a few days after purchase before I contact them to add it to my policy. Comes in handy if I buy something over a weekend; I just call them first thing Monday morning.

In Florida you have 30 days to register the vehicle and apply for insurance. You are covered during the 30 days. I bought my LJR in TX. The guys selling it did not want his plates so I would have just drove it (not much chance of getting a speeding ticket). I ended up trailering it though because the tires were old.

Edit: And by the time I got back to Florida I completely forgot how much I paid for it when registering it. ;)

My statement about "most states..." was from checking with each state I passed through ahead of time. In fact, for the states I drove through, none allowed traveling through without a permanent or temporary registration. And one of them was Texas, the OP's starting point.

I’ll definitely check the laws in the states I’ll be driving through. Great tip, thanks.

In Texas, when a private individual sells a vehicle, the license plates stay on the vehicle. You need a bill of sale signed by both parties and a signed title. You also need insurance and proof that you have it.

I got stopped in Maryland back in the '70s in a car with New York plates and I had a Missouri DL. The State Trooper said, "I will be back tomorrow. You have that long to get this fixed." And he did come back, and I did have it all fixed.

What makes think california doesn't tax based off the price you write down?

Unless it changed in the last couple years its always been that way.

What makes think california doesn't tax based off the price you write down?

Unless it changed in the last couple years its always been that way.

I guess I made an assumption there, since CO follows CA in most things vehicular. So CO got ahead of CA on this one. Bummer for you if CA ever follows CO.

CO doesn't allow a trade. Back in the 70s, I traded cars with my uncle. We both wrote a very low price on our bill of sale and paid a small tax. Nowadays, we would both pay whatever the state decided to extract from our pockets, even though no money had changed hands.

I guess I made an assumption there, since CO follows CA in most things vehicular. So CO got ahead of CA on this one. Bummer for you if CA ever follows CO.

CO doesn't allow a trade. Back in the 70s, I traded cars with my uncle. We both wrote a very low price on our bill of sale and paid a small tax. Nowadays, we would both pay whatever the state decided to extract from our pockets, even though no money had changed hands.

I bought a vehicle from out of state (UT) and titled it in CO in 2022, and the sales tax charged was the amount on the bill of sale and not whatever the estimated value was. When did this change?