What kind of tent do you use?

What do you guys think about this tent?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078F6988L/?tag=wranglerorg-20The 4 person without the screen room. I got some anniversary gift from my work and this is one of the options might be nice to get a tent free if this is any good
I tried one like that after I got the Jeep and stared doing some keeping camp trips. The first night out windstorm in Death Valley blew sand up the side, under the rain fly and filled the tent with sand through the mesh top. We tried to sleep in the Jeep after that. I now have a tent (Coleman easy up ) that will seal up completely. Last trip to Death Valley another wind storm once set up no dust inside.

Reactions: lBasket
Those tents work fine but I've never been in a dust storm with one or heavy rain. They are a little more difficult to setup than some because you have pockets on the top instead of clips but it's not a big deal. One of the kids I camp with often has one and it's lasted years of abuse. The easy up @NskLJ mentioned is really nice, heavier duty material and construction all around.

Those tents work fine but I've never been in a dust storm with one or heavy rain. They are a little more difficult to setup than some because you have pockets on the top instead of clips but it's not a big deal. One of the kids I camp with often has one and it's lasted years of abuse. The easy up @NskLJ mentioned is really nice, heavier duty material and construction all around.
Alright then I'll get something else... there is other useful stuff I can get from work so I won't waste it on a tent that I'll want to replace

I have a kelty 4 person tent though I have no idea how 4 people would fit in it. No complaints other than it is thin and can get cold but I use a -40 sleeping bag. I was caught in a very long rain storm last year and the bottom began to get wet, though it had been raining for probably 8 hours at this point. I'd like to get a cot because I hate sleeping on the ground anymore.

20170401_190457.jpg

Alright then I'll get something else... there is other useful stuff I can get from work so I won't waste it on a tent that I'll want to replace
A buddy has one like that he brought backpacking. It rained pretty heavily and filled with water so he ended up in my tent (kelty 3 man). I've never had an issue with either of my Kelty tents in wind or rain (or snow coming back from last TJ Fest).

Reactions: DETOUR and lBasket
A buddy has one like that he brought backpacking. It rained pretty heavily and filled with water so he ended up in my tent (kelty 3 man). I've never had an issue with either of my Kelty tents in wind or rain (or snow coming back from last TJ Fest).
Can you get a Kelty in person anywhere? Seems like a really reasonable price

Great suggestions, beware backpacking tents and dogs, you might have claw issues on the tent bottom. I'm sure you could put down a pad or something as long as they stay put but some are pretty lightweight material. That's one upside of the Coleman, the bottom is basically a tarp.

Great suggestions, beware backpacking tents and dogs, you might have claw issues on the tent bottom. I'm sure you could put down a pad or something as long as they stay put but some are pretty lightweight material. That's one upside of the Coleman, the bottom is basically a tarp.
Yeah I think I'm going to try to stay away from backpacking tents for now... The sacrifices for the weight aren't worth it when it's for jeep camping

Reactions: Wildman
I bought something yesterday that I thought I never would. I got a great deal on a mildly used RTT so I thought I'd give it a try. There's no way I'd put it on top of my LJ, XJ or WK but it should be OK on my off road trailer. We'll see in a month or so. I semi mounted it today (lots to do yet) and my wife said ... "this will be good for you" ... meaning she has no interest in it. Great! (y)

View attachment 320481View attachment 320482View attachment 320483
@PCO6
You‘ve changed your storage configuration on the tongue of your trailer.

I followed your build on a different site. I had stolen your idea of reusing the curved BBQ stand sections for MWC holders on a trailer that I’m helping a friend build.

Nice tent, nice build

Reactions: PCO6
I go pretty light. I have had this tent for a few uears and it has been wonderful. I picked it up at REI (return merchandise) for nearly half off and it was almost brand new. As packed, it is about 3lb and it easily fits in my backpacking/overnighter pack with all the other essentials. It sets up and packs up pretty easy. I use a REI branded inflatable mattress pad and an enlightened equipment blanket/sleeping bag. Everything is pretty light but they are quite comfortable. I have camped 38-40F on the mountains and zero complaints with my setup. I have no desire to camp outside when it goes below freezing so I carefully chose what I want to carry.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Copper-Spur-HV-UL2-2020

The TJ forces me to stay disciplined in terms of what I carry. I have contemplated LJ vs TJ many times, but the LJ is still pretty much a 2 person vehicle with extra space. But the TJ has enough space for 2 people + gear, where the LJ shines is basically that there is an extra space for a dog or for some comfort gear and such which can be nice on certain trips.

I am in the same camp as @rasband .. just can't do the overlander thing. I sometimes carry a small cooler for food on overnight trips and I always have extra water in a 5 gallon can. I also have backpacking alcohol stove in my pack if I get the desire to eat some hot food or coffee in the mornings. Note that I mostly tend to do trips with 1 or 2 nights outside mostly, with usually 1 or 2 other people, and so what I carry may not apply to you. I will say that I have been wanting to do longer trips and that needs more thought and planning.

One of these days I will share photos of how I carry stuff and what I carry. @rasband I would also like to hear about your gear choices sometime.

Love that tent. I too use that for tj camping and backpacking.... though I will probably get another tent for tj camping. One that is heavier.. but more durable and won't wear out the ultralight backpacking tent.

Reactions: psrivats
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078F6988L/?tag=wranglerorg-20The 4 person without the screen room. I got some anniversary gift from my work and this is one of the options might be nice to get a tent free if this is any good

Their ideas of a 4 and 6 person tent differ greatly from mine. It’ll be fine for 2 people and minimal gear. They are good tents, great if they are free.

• Haha
Their ideas of a 4 and 6 person tent differ greatly from mine. It’ll be fine for 2 people and minimal gear. They are good tents, great if they are free.
Makes me too nervous with people saying they don't take wind and rain that well it can come out of nowhere out here

Reactions: rasband
Love that tent. I too use that for tj camping and backpacking.... though I will probably get another tent for tj camping. One that is heavier.. but more durable and won't wear out the ultralight backpacking tent.

I think if I were to get one for that .. I'll go with the Swag tent (Australian style).

• Wow
These interest me because they are made in America, but they offer a cheaper offshore version also. I’ve always used a Coleman dome tent and always worried about getting drenched in a down pour, luckily I’ve always had good weather. The bigger canvas tents are heavy, bulky and would require more effort to put up. I feel that you would want to be staying in the same spot for a few days to justify setting it up.

https://springbar.com/pages/family-camper-lp

I have a version of that one we have used once for my crew. It's holds me and wife and 2 little ones all on air mattresses with a decent amount of room left. I treated it with scotch guard before our trip and it kept the rain out. Screen room was pretty useless though. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-...21vDqikNtQD3ADlPxhBoCBXgQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have a 2 man ascend bass pro brand tent I bought on clearance years ago that I use when it's just me and my son. Otherwise I just sleep in the back seat of the tundra when I go.