Wranglerfixed

Went to the @Wranglerfix website for some reading pleasure. After reading all about them and their products I noticed something that would be helpful to Mark from all of his happy customers on this forum.
A review.
Internet reviews sell products and this tj pcm on his site has a total of 4 reviews.
Come on guys, payback.
🇺🇸

The reviews on our Google page total 171 at the moment. For some reason the website counter is not in sync with Google but thank you for looking out! 👍🏻

I'm still waiting for the Wranglerfix t-shirts, hats and decals to come out. :unsure: :cool:

1714910518470.png

Went to the @Wranglerfix website for some reading pleasure. After reading all about them and their products I noticed something that would be helpful to Mark from all of his happy customers on this forum.
A review.
Internet reviews sell products and this tj pcm on his site has a total of 4 reviews.
Come on guys, payback.
🇺🇸

I’m filming a testimonial for him, will endeavor to get on his site too…good post.

I have been asked to review the WranglerFix tune in the near future. To note, I already have a Flyin Ryan Performance canned tune which I have ported over to my WranglerFix PCM.

I will be flashing it to the WranglerFix PCM and will report back on the differences between the two. Since I also can view the tunes themselves via HP tuners, I should be able to see what the actual differences are.

Please note I will not share any tune files nor screenshots of spark maps, VE tables, etc. since these are proprietary to both companies.

Looking forward to comparing the two. I've modified a number of things on the FRP tune since I got it, so I'll revert it to their base tune for comparison. (Perhaps I'll end up with a hybrid of all three in the end...)

Ok guys, I too have been WranglerFixed. 4.0, 42rle, 33s, 5.13 gears. My initial thought is my Jeep feels "lighter," and it's easier to drive and maneuver.

As mentioned, the shift points are prolonged, especially 3rd gear. To the point where I occasionally have to check to make sure nothing is wrong and I'm not "stuck" in third. Nothing wrong with that, but I'm just not used to it yet. 4th is still 4th, but it has a little more oomph behind it and I can accelerate if I need to. The transmission also jumps into 3rd much easier if I need a little extra throttle, and stays there till I let off.

The throttle response is definitely improved. It's very easy to speed now because you just want to keep giving it more, because it can. There's a lot more power through turns and it just makes the Jeep feel more nimble in every aspect both on and off road. It feels like a new machine, but also the same. It's no V8, but this tune is definitely noticeable and an improvement.

So thanks @Wranglerfix ! I notice the improvement and now I don't feel like I need to gear deeper to 5.38.

I would be interested also.

With the FRP tune (have not tried the Wranglerfix tune yet), the difference is very noticeable. I have the 6-speed manual, and with the FRP tune I can run higher gears while cruising to lower RPMs without having timing pulled or fuel enriched for most of the time. So I get significantly better fuel economy and have to downshift less.

With a modified FRP tune, I no longer have any desire to regear (4.10s on 35s). Wish reverse and low range were a little lower, but 6th is now perfect at freeway speeds whereas before I had to run 5th most of the time.

The biggest difference you will likely note is less “power fade” due to extended mid to open throttle operation. If the Wranglerfix tune is also changing the base spark maps as well, you may also notice more base torque in certain parts of the powerband as well. In these cases, the extra power/torque isn’t actually a tradeoff - it’s achieved by simply extracting a greater portion of the energy from the fuel you are already burning.

The big issue with the implementation of the automatic transmission in the TJs is the fact it is coupled to a mechanical throttle and not an electronically controlled one. In an electronically controlled throttle and automatic transmission, the pedal and the throttle are not explicitly linked, meaning the throttle can go to WOT or near-WOT long before the gas pedal reaches its max travel. Thus the engine can run at very efficient states (low RPM, full throttle) and at the same time maintain drivability, since depressing the pedal further can simply command a downshift.

With an automatic transmission and mechanical throttle, this is much harder to do since the pedal needs to be all the way depressed to reach WOT. This leads to a necessary tradeoff in the tuning where the tune can either prioritize drivability or fuel economy. In the drivability tune, the downshift is triggered a decent ways before the pedal reaches the WOT position. But this eliminates the most efficient operating state of the engine, which is near-WOT at lower RPM. In the fuel economy tune (which the factory PCM tune would be), a downshift would be triggered at or just before WOT. Hence the user really has to floor it to get a downshift.

If the TJ (automatic) had an electronic throttle, the whole shift points thing wouldn’t be nearly as big of a deal as it is with a mechanical throttle. Meanwhile, for the manual, since shifting is performed independently of throttle position, a car with a mechanical throttle is just as efficient and drivable as one with an electronic throttle.

My WranglerFix PCM tune results:

05’ 42rle 4.56 35’s

First thing I noticed was the throttle response is improved. Peppy off the line.

Second thing is if I stay on the gas like normal it won’t downshift into OD when you get up to 40’ish mph. At that point, if you let off the gas it will then shift into OD. If you hit OD off then the rpm’s will go back up. This seems unchanged except it won’t automatically downshift right away, but see the fifth thing below.

Third thing is if I floor it off the line the rpm’s will jump up to 4500 and 0-40 is way smoother and faster than before. This is nice.

Fourth thing is I feel confident darting into traffic.

Fifth thing is if I stayed on the gas up to 62 mph when I got there my rpm’s were 3150. Awesome. 😎 Getting onto freeways from the on ramp should be a breeze.

Haven’t got up to 70+ yet.