You guys talked me into Milwaukee, so here we go

PackOut is excellent when you need to move tools from place to place, from vehicle to on foot. And the aftermarket support is very good. In a shop setting, there are better and less spendy ways to store and organize.
View attachment 501000

I think you hit the nail on the head for me. I try NOT to bring the whole took kit out on the trail with me. A tool rool and smallish box works. I work on my stuff in a fixed location. If I were a tradesman, travelling everyday for work, it looks like it would be a GREAT solution...by the looks of your stack, you could nearly make a mobile workbench out of it.

Reactions: jjvw
I think you hit the nail on the head for me. I try NOT to bring the whole took kit out on the trail with me. A tool rool and smallish box works. I work on my stuff in a fixed location. If I were a tradesman, travelling everyday for work, it looks like it would be a GREAT solution...by the looks of your stack, you could nearly make a mobile workbench out of it.

I've never yet hauled my packout stuff on the trail but it goes in the truck incase something needs serious work back at camp. My M12/M18 stuff also doesn't go in the jeep.

Agreed. As much as I'm tempted to get a fully kitted out Packout setup for the Jeep, a tool rool and a couple small boxes just work.

We do use the Packouts at work. They are pricey, but they simply hold up better than the alternatives.

Agreed. As much as I'm tempted to get a fully kitted out Packout setup for the Jeep, a tool rool and a couple small boxes just work.

We do use the Packouts at work. They are pricey, but they simply hold up better than the alternatives.

PackOut is a very space inefficient way to carry tools in a Jeep. Soft bags work much better.

As I'm building my new jeep I've been taking note of what tool sizes I've used and would need on the trail. Those are the only tools I'll carry plus some adjustables to cover any gaps or to help others if needed.

As far as what I'd use in the jeep for a packout would be the mounting plate and one or two of the boxes to contain everything that's dedicated to the trail and specifically my jeep. Snap in snap out as needed. Something in the front end needs work, grab the packout take it to the problem and all tools are right there for use.

In my garage my tool chest is about 15' from my jeep. I have a table setup about 3' from the jeep. I grab the tool sets as needed per project to set on the table or one of my other rolling carts and everything is close and efficient for work on the jeep. At the end of the day the tools go back to where they started.

Once I get my new trailer I hope to have it setup to take more tools, spares and things like my extra welder so again it's get back to where the truck is and fix things as necessary.

Reactions: Woodrow and PNW_LJ
PackOut is a very space inefficient way to carry tools in a Jeep. Soft bags work much better.

Gotta give them credit, the PackOut is visually appealing, despite the space inefficnecy.

As I'm building my new jeep I've been taking note of what tool sizes I've used and would need on the trail. Those are the only tools I'll carry plus some adjustables to cover any gaps or to help others if needed.

As far as what I'd use in the jeep for a packout would be the mounting plate and one or two of the boxes to contain everything that's dedicated to the trail and specifically my jeep. Snap in snap out as needed. Something in the front end needs work, grab the packout take it to the problem and all tools are right there for use.

In my garage my tool chest is about 15' from my jeep. I have a table setup about 3' from the jeep. I grab the tool sets as needed per project to set on the table or one of my other rolling carts and everything is close and efficient for work on the jeep. At the end of the day the tools go back to where they started.

Once I get my new trailer I hope to have it setup to take more tools, spares and things like my extra welder so again it's get back to where the truck is and fix things as necessary.

I imagine having multiple sets of tools (garage, Jeep, trailer) is pretty nice. For sure something I'd like to have in the future.

For my current use and sensibilities, I want one setup of tools that's easily portable and covers just about anything I might work on. A tool roll, Tekton 3/8 socket set, and a couple of boxes/soft bags accomplish that. Might be several lbs heavier than a whittled-down setup, but I'm confident I have everything I need with me.

Now that I think about it, if you take the socket set (1/4-1" and 8-24mm), I think the 23mm is the only socket I haven't used.

Gotta give them credit, the PackOut is visually appealing, despite the space inefficnecy.

I would change as many things as I like about the system. For starters, the rolling base needs to be updated into a drawer.

Reactions: PNW_LJ
For my current use and sensibilities, I want one setup of tools that's easily portable and covers just about anything I might work on. A tool roll, Tekton 3/8 socket set, and a couple of boxes/soft bags accomplish that. Might be several lbs heavier than a whittled-down setup, but I'm confident I have everything I need with me.

Now that I think about it, if you take the socket set (1/4-1" and 8-24mm), I think the 23mm is the only socket I haven't used.

That tekton set and both tekton wrench rolls are what go in my blue jeep with a bag of misc tools that cover everything I should need tool wise.

All that still fits behind the rear seat with my 40 liter dometic, first aid bag and recovery gear. Plenty of room.

Reactions: PNW_LJ

Pssshhaw…building a new Jeep, he says. Bud, that build has got to be getting ready for kindergarten, isn’t it?

Pssshhaw…building a new Jeep, he says. Bud, that build has got to be getting ready for kindergarten, isn’t it?

The 5 month old is taking all our time and it’s going to be a while before we can go out with two jeeps so I’m in no hurry.

I would change as many things as I like about the system. For starters, the rolling base needs to be updated into a drawer.

I do not understand why Milwaukee has not done that yet either. I know that you could just start with the hand truck instead of the box base but the I do not like the form factor as well. Not that I need any of it at this point.

I do not understand why Milwaukee has not done that yet either. I know that you could just start with the hand truck instead of the box base but the I do not like the form factor as well. Not that I need any of it at this point.

I've used the hand truck. It should be so much better than it is. With a different design, it could solve the problem of the rolling base and not be so bulky and tippy.

Reactions: Blackjack
You thought jeeps were bad and now you’ve done it.

Should get an M18 grinder or two or three so you can really enjoy life.

I've drawn a hard line at the M18 stuff. While I'd like to justify it, the cost to go there has gotten insane. That said, my go-to M12 products are the Fuel Stubby 3/8 impact, Impact Driver, and of course the Radio/Charger. I've also started picking up their hand tools, which are all first class quality.

milwaukee-jobsite-audio-2951-20-64_100.jpg

I've used the hand truck. It should be so much better than it is. With a different design, it could solve the problem of the rolling base and not be so bulky and tippy.

Doesn’t it have the wheels behind the box instead of out wide?

I've drawn a hard line at the M18 stuff. While I'd like to justify it, the cost to go there has gotten insane. That said, my go-to M12 products are the Fuel Stubby 3/8 impact, Impact Driver, and of course the Radio/Charger. I've also started picking up their hand tools, which are all first class quality.

View attachment 501032

May as well draw a hard line and never put larger than a 31" tire on any Jeep you build. It is about the same difference in performance when you need something to work better. If I had to give up all of my M12 Fuel stuff, I'd snivel a bunch about a couple of items, but I'd do it in a heartbeat. You simply can not beat their Fuel grinders, Sawzall, larger impacts, and drills. Once you use the Fuel drill in M18, the little M12 will rarely get used again. You can push harder, spin a bit faster, and drill much larger holes when you need to. If I saw any of my helpers ever chuck up a 2" hole saw in the M12 for anything but plastic, I'd likely slam it on the ground to render it useless so they would never do that shit again.