Best value flap disc

P

P man

I cant say I've ever bought a flap disc that was worth a darn. I need 4 inch or so 80 grit and something that will last at least a while. What are you guys using?

Reactions: 03coloradowrangler
Tractor Supply has their house brand 60 grit 8pk for $10, I've not tried them but made in Vietnam. For that price I doubt I'd complain about performance :)

They also have the Porter Cable branded 60 grit 5pk for $15 and I've used these a bunch and been happy with them. I usually use them for weld prep and spatter cleanup. Tye occasionally have a sale on the Dewalt hard wheels 5pk fro $10 and I like those too.

Reactions: Irun and P man
I cant say I've ever bought a flap disc that was worth a darn. I need 4 inch or so 80 grit and something that will last at least a while. What are you guys using?

I recently watched a video comparing several different brands, and the test results seemed to indicate that the Diablo brand "Steel Demon" was a pretty decent unit. I ordered one as a "test drive", if you will. Kind of a mid-point price range. I ordered the 40-grit wheel, but haven't used it, yet. Here's the video, for what it's worth:

Reactions: P man and Daryl

80 grit is a finishing disc. Best used for blending and smoothing rather than rapid stock removal. There are two common types of flap discs, blending and stock removal. The stock removal version has the flaps of paper stacked on top of each other very tightly so you get a clean cut. Blending discs have small gaps between the layers with fewer bits of paper.

This is the blending style.
1702910763490.png

This is the stock removal style.

1702910988188.png

The difference will be seen when trying to flush out something like some brackets you mow off of an axle tube. The blending disc will conform over the piece sticking up and then remove material on both sides of it at the same time so as you are sanding down the bit of tab sticking up, you are also removing some of the axle tube at the same time.

For that type work, you would want the stock removal style.

The giant fucking problem with flap discs is almost no one uses them correctly. They get tired of how slow they cut so they lean them up on the edge and using them like a hard grinding disc which just fucks them up. They need to be used flat to the slightly angled face of the disc. They last much longer, cut better, and work like you need them do plus you get a flat cut instead of looking like someone was doing some artsy swirly shit.

You need a 36 or 40 grit for fast stock removal, then move to a 60 if you want to clean up the deeper scratches.

Avoid every single recommendation for any of the cheap shit. What happens is as soon as you touch them to metal, most of the grit blows off of the paper or cloth backing and you're left with a very crappy buffing pad that does nothing well.

If your grinder has the standard 5/8 threaded arbor, I'll put together a little care package and send it up.

I recently watched a video comparing several different brands, and the test results seemed to indicate that the Diablo brand "Steel Demon" was a pretty decent unit. I ordered one as a "test drive", if you will. Kind of a mid-point price range. I ordered the 40-grit wheel, but haven't used it, yet. Here's the video, for what it's worth:

I don't watch that goober but if he says the Diablo sanding anything is good, then that fits right in with why I don't watch that goober. They suck and I'm a huge Diablo fan.

• Haha
Reactions: L J
Tractor Supply has their house brand 60 grit 8pk for $10, I've not tried them but made in Vietnam. For that price I doubt I'd complain about performance :)

They also have the Porter Cable branded 60 grit 5pk for $15 and I've used these a bunch and been happy with them. I usually use them for weld prep and spatter cleanup. Tye occasionally have a sale on the Dewalt hard wheels 5pk fro $10 and I like those too.

You, yes you. You go sit over there and be quiet while the adults discuss. There are no and I mean absolutely no 1.50 each 4-5" flap discs that are worth the effort it takes to just install them on the grinder.

Reactions: CMBD
Try Roark Supply, I like them and they have some pretty good specials from time to time. Should have a Christmas special pretty quick.

Roark is okay. Try some of the Benchmark stuff and you'll get pretty picky about the stuff you get from Roark. I've been a huge fan of Sait cut off discs in 5 and 6". I tried the Benchmark and they are equivalent to slightly better. The only exception is the aluminum specific Sait. The Benchmark version cuts slower and wears faster.

You, yes you. You go sit over there and be quiet while the adults discuss. There are no and I mean absolutely no 1.50 each 4-5" flap discs that are worth the effort it takes to just install them on the grinder.

I should have been a little more clear. For $1.25 I wouldn't expect much, therefore I wouldn't complain, when the cheapos sucked. I'm using a hard wheel 95% of the time and just run a flap disc over things to smooth the edges or knock off dross from the plasma. For $3-5ea PorterCable/Dewalt have been good "enough" flap discs. I'm pickier about the paddle switch style on my grinder than I am consumables.

But I'm watching this thread, to see what brands to try. I'm a weekend warrior fabricator and make a lot of fire pits. Cleaning up the dross in a cutout I usually nick the edge of the flap wheel they get trashed pretty quick anyway.

Reactions: P man
I should have been a little more clear. For $1.25 I wouldn't expect much, therefore I wouldn't complain, when the cheapos sucked. I'm using a hard wheel 95% of the time and just run a flap disc over things to smooth the edges or knock off dross from the plasma. For $3-5ea PorterCable/Dewalt have been good "enough" flap discs. I'm pickier about the paddle switch style on my grinder than I am consumables.

But I'm watching this thread, to see what brands to try. I'm a weekend warrior fabricator and make a lot of fire pits. Cleaning up the dross in a cutout I usually nick the edge of the flap wheel they get trashed pretty quick anyway.

https://www.pearlabrasive.com/green...trimmable-with-5-11-quickmount/product/0/1205

If you try the Sait or Pearl with the plastic backer that has the trimmable section at the edge of the disc to renew it when you blow out the edge, you'll stop a lot of that crap.

I don't watch that goober but if he says the Diablo sanding anything is good, then that fits right in with why I don't watch that goober. They suck and I'm a huge Diablo fan.

Well, glad I ordered just one, then. Had this thread been around just one week earlier, I may not have. Thanks for the info. Always worth the read. (y)

80 grit is a finishing disc. Best used for blending and smoothing rather than rapid stock removal. There are two common types of flap discs, blending and stock removal. The stock removal version has the flaps of paper stacked on top of each other very tightly so you get a clean cut. Blending discs have small gaps between the layers with fewer bits of paper.

This is the blending style.
View attachment 483351

This is the stock removal style.

View attachment 483363
The difference will be seen when trying to flush out something like some brackets you mow off of an axle tube. The blending disc will conform over the piece sticking up and then remove material on both sides of it at the same time so as you are sanding down the bit of tab sticking up, you are also removing some of the axle tube at the same time.

For that type work, you would want the stock removal style.

The giant fucking problem with flap discs is almost no one uses them correctly. They get tired of how slow they cut so they lean them up on the edge and using them like a hard grinding disc which just fucks them up. They need to be used flat to the slightly angled face of the disc. They last much longer, cut better, and work like you need them do plus you get a flat cut instead of looking like someone was doing some artsy swirly shit.

You need a 36 or 40 grit for fast stock removal, then move to a 60 if you want to clean up the deeper scratches.

Avoid every single recommendation for any of the cheap shit. What happens is as soon as you touch them to metal, most of the grit blows off of the paper or cloth backing and you're left with a very crappy buffing pad that does nothing well.

If your grinder has the standard 5/8 threaded arbor, I'll put together a little care package and send it up.

I honestly thought a flap disc was just a flap disc only difference was the grit. I will admit I am the dumbass that uses them on the edge to try and get a better cut and it does work well for about 30 seconds.

My grinders use the standard 5/8 arbor. I appreciate the info and it makes me reconsider flap wheels and how I should be using them

Your point about catching the flap wheel on something sharp hit home. I have destroyed many by doing this. I forget they are just paper and aren't tough like a stone lol.

Well, glad I ordered just one, then. Had this thread been around just one week earlier, I may not have. Thanks for the info. Always worth the read. (y)

Based on my absolute happiness with both the quality at any price and then price of many Diablo cutting products like saw blades, router bits, and metal cutting carbide reciprocating saw blades, I couldn't not try the Diablo sanding products. That includes sandpaper discs for my sanders, flap discs for the grinder, and some other stuff. I wouldn't buy a single one of them again. They have a lot of stuff figured out, grit based stuff ain't on that list.

Based on my absolute happiness with both the quality at any price and then price of many Diablo cutting products like saw blades, router bits, and metal cutting carbide reciprocating saw blades, I couldn't not try the Diablo sanding products. That includes sandpaper discs for my sanders, flap discs for the grinder, and some other stuff. I wouldn't buy a single one of them again. They have a lot of stuff figured out, grit based stuff ain't on that list.

Good to know. Thanks, Chief!

Reactions: P man
Roark is okay. Try some of the Benchmark stuff and you'll get pretty picky about the stuff you get from Roark. I've been a huge fan of Sait cut off discs in 5 and 6". I tried the Benchmark and they are equivalent to slightly better. The only exception is the aluminum specific Sait. The Benchmark version cuts slower and wears faster.

I'll check them out, thanks for the lead.

Reactions: mrblaine
I honestly thought a flap disc was just a flap disc only difference was the grit. I will admit I am the dumbass that uses them on the edge to try and get a better cut and it does work well for about 30 seconds.

My grinders use the standard 5/8 arbor. I appreciate the info and it makes me reconsider flap wheels and how I should be using them

Does that mean you do or don't want a care package?