Best value flap disc

You appear to be in the state of Washington.
Try Tacoma Screw they probably have a branch nearby.
Their flapper discs are branded products and they are pretty good and come in a wide variety of grits.
If you ask they will usually hook you up with a substantial discount.

I'm not sure it's the best at anything but I've been using Empire Abrasives Blackhawk label. Better than anything I got at HF or Home Depot.

Reactions: P man
I too like Benchmark. IMO there is no such thing as a cheap and good flap disc or cutting disc. Benchmark comes closer since they are less expensive than some. Sanding discs were mentioned earlier, I bought a lot of 3M Cubitrons when they first came out and I am pretty impressed with their long life and ability to remove mill scale quickly. I paid $80 for 25 back then but now they are almost double that. I use them on the angle grinder with a backer. By design the abrasive is made up of pointed triangles that kind of make different layers as you wear thru them, so they don't get smoother almost immediately like regular sanding discs. (The triangles self sharpen as the points break off)

When it comes to cutting discs I don't understand how people think cheap ones are really cheap. They are so thick that they take longer to cut and they wear themselves down fast, plus when they are wearing down fast there is all the grit and dust left behind. I like to use real thin and strong discs like Pferd. One of my favorites I discovered by accident is the Makita Ultra Thin B-46165 5", they are very thin and strong, easy to control and a pleasure to use. They will fit many 4.5" angle grinders with the guard still on. I use them mostly on my cordless angle grinder but also on my Dewalt paddle switch grinder as I can hold it one handed on top of a sheet metal work piece with my arm resting on the work and plunge it in with my wrist. I like them even better than the Pferd.

The cheap ones like Harbor Freight are great if you like to make piles of black grit in your shop and all over you or have them come apart. I have a few cheap discs but they get left in the drawer for emergencies in case I run out of good ones. When they are gone I won't ever buy cheap ones again.

3M.jpg

Pferd.jpg

Makita.jpg

Last edited:
I just received my new MSC catalog and I see that Norton is making a RazorStar Ceramic Alumina disc. the principle looks like the 3M Cubitron using triangular shaped bits of abrasive material that, as they break, leave a fresh cutting edge. Like the 3M product they are a bit pricey at over $6 each and only sold in boxes of 25 pc. They are about a dollar less than the Cubitrons.

https://www.nortonabrasives.com/en-us/norton-razorstar

Reactions: P man