DIY Daily tools organization system

The4bangertj

Cutting down the weight
Supporting Member
Wanted to post this for some ideas for others since I wasn’t able to find anything like this on the internet before. I wanted to make an organization system that will hold all my tools I like to keep in the jeep every day. Some tools for emergency like a blown tire but also a little more for other possibilities as well as the most common tools I’ve used for other projects so they’re close and easy to get rather than running to my apartment 100yrds away every time I forget something.
My design criteria was based on 2 things. Minimal noise, and can work with and without a back seat. Previously I had a socket set, a tool bag, and other stuff just thrown behind the back seat and when the seat was out moved it all to behind the driver seat. It was loud and I hated moving it all the time. I wanted to put it all in pack outs so I could contain everything and have it stuck to the surface so when I ride in the desert they don’t go flying. I also wanted tailgate access still when the back seat is out but the stuff back behind the seat when it was in.
My options were to have 2 packout mounts, one behind the seat and one behind the driver seat similarly to where I used to put them but being in packouts would solve the flying and how fast I could move them. Or my other option which is what I went with was mount it all on the inside tail gate so when I open it, it’s out of the way no matter what. On the tailgate puts it all behind the seat but also allows me access to the tub when it’s out.
The best way I could fit everything was to have a packout half stack on the bottom left of the tailgate and a “molle” sheet everywhere else to fit anything else that doesn’t fit in the packout. Due to time and manufacturing I purchased a packout mount off amazon and then shaped the sheet in solid works and plasma cut it on my college campus. This allowed me to not worry about the dimensions for the packout and just make some holes for the sheet to tie too. Then using ruivnuts just bolt both sheets to the tailgate.
Here is how it turned out as well as the tools that I have fitted to it as of now. I still have a breaker bar that I fit under the door jam as well as I would like to fit a jack of some sort somewhere out of the way still and I’m leaning towards the genright scissor jack mount and put it in the back side of the cage since it would fit along the top side of the sheet horizontally.
Any advice on what tools to swap out or how you’d do it differently for others to think about, or myself still, is appreciated.

IMG_1106.jpeg

IMG_1109.jpeg

IMG_1116.jpeg

IMG_1117.jpeg

IMG_1118.jpeg

Good stuff. I've thought of something similar, but I just don't have enough trust in the public, to leave my tools out in the open like that. Dailyling to Seattle and having a soft top doesn't help.

How do you like the Icon ratchets?

I would like to fit a jack of some sort somewhere out of the way still and I’m leaning towards the genright scissor jack mount and put it in the back side of the cage since it would fit along the top side of the sheet horizontally.

¿Por qué no use the factory jack and location?

Reactions: The4bangertj
Good stuff. I've thought of something similar, but I just don't have enough trust in the public, to leave my tools out in the open like that. Dailyling to Seattle and having a soft top doesn't help.

How do you like the Icon ratchets?

¿Por qué no use the factory jack and location?

I forgot I was also planning on using the trunk style lock box that is bolted from the inside (might have to modify it a bit to fit) for when I run a soft top and a back seat to keep it secure and mostly out of sight. Icon has been super nice. Hf has been by far the easiest to swap tools when they break and the icon stuff is nicer than my cobalt and craftsman stuff.
What is the factory jack and location? I never had one when I bought my Jeep. Is it under the passanger front seat? If the stock Jack can lift an axle up with 35s for a tire change I’m definitely going to find that bc that’s perfect.

Reactions: PNW_LJ
There are such things as reusable or quick release zip ties. Here is the link.

https://www.amazon.com/Releasable-R...lti-Purpose/dp/B08GR496P3/?tag=wranglerorg-20

My 97 TJ actually came with a Mopar option to have an open black storage box along the rear desk, but I haven't been able to find it.

That’s exactly what I was looking for! I was planning on using some reusable ones or Velcro ones to tie that air line and big adjustable up just didn’t know what to get them from so thanks.

What is the factory jack and location? I never had one when I bought my Jeep. Is it under the passanger front seat? If the stock Jack can lift an axle up with 35s for a tire change I’m definitely going to find that bc that’s perfect.

Yup, here is the jack and lug wrench in the factory location:

1714799225269.png

The handle extensions are stored in a cloth bag under the passenger side doorsill.

The entire setup looks like this, and should be available on eBay somewhat affordibly:

1714799320191.png

Does yours have the mounting bracket under the passenger seat?

Yup, here is the jack and lug wrench in the factory location:

View attachment 524046

The handle extensions are stored in a cloth bag under the passenger side doorsill.

The entire setup looks like this, and should be available on eBay somewhat affordibly:

View attachment 524047

Does yours have the mounting bracket under the passenger seat?

Ya I have the bracket thus my thought that’s where it belongs. Will have to find one now!

Reactions: PNW_LJ
That’s exactly what I was looking for! I was planning on using some reusable ones or Velcro ones to tie that air line and big adjustable up just didn’t know what to get them from so thanks.

That's what I feel life should be about. Helping each other, even if it is just in small ways.