Jack of All Trades, Master of None: LJ Build

Genright replacement raised body mounts are 1.25" despite what the website says. Been that way for years for reasons unknown.

Yup, that’s correct.
Great build.

Was just looking at the body mount post. Gen right "body lift" replacement mounts are 3/16" thick and only 1" lift. Seems like a solution would be 1.25" lift and 1/4" thick material. Thoughts?

I’m holding off on getting them until I decide on my final tcase skid solution.

The Savvy TT requires modification to work w/ raised body mounts, which hurts resale value if I ever go flat belly skid later.

The Baja bosses are almost $60 more a tire is my only issue with them. I have a friend who has the STT pro's and I saw his jeep in action and that is what was my final convincing.

That's pretty wild considering Cooper makes both of them, don't they?

The Baja bosses are almost $60 more a tire is my only issue with them. I have a friend who has the STT pro's and I saw his jeep in action and that is what was my final convincing.

Same reasoning. The Bosses are on my short list In my build thread, but prices are basically as follows:

Cooper STT Pro = $340
GY MT/R = $350
MT Baja Bosses = $400

Are the Bosses really $240+ better than either of those two cheaper tires? I’m sure Ryan can tell us.

The only bad thing about the GY MT/R where I live is snow and ice. I’m actually considering them again and having them siped. I love the sidewall and the Load C rating. I’m probably going to try them again and see if the siping really helps. The Cooper’s are better on snow and ice, but I’d still get them siped. No clue about the Bosses.

Same reasoning. The Bosses are on my short list In my build thread, but prices are basically as follows:

Cooper STT Pro = $340
GY MT/R = $350
MT Baja Bosses = $400

Are the Bosses really $240+ better than either of those two cheaper tires? I’m sure Ryan can tell us.

The only bad thing about the GY MT/R where I live is snow and ice. I’m actually considering them again and having them siped. I love the sidewall and the Load C rating. I’m probably going to try them again and see if the siping really helps. The Cooper’s are better on snow and ice, but I’d still get them siped. No clue about the Bosses.

I can’t tell you which one is better too many variables.

I also don’t drive my jeeps in the winter so I avoid snow. The times I’ve been in it the bosses have been better than the Dick Cepek Extreme Country’s I had prior.

I can’t tell you which one is better too many variables.

I also don’t drive my jeeps in the winter so I avoid snow. The times I’ve been in it the bosses have been better than the Dick Cepek Extreme Country’s I had prior.

There’s always too many variables in tire threads IMO. I can’t really tell a difference off-road in any of the tires I’ve tried. They all did well.

I am thinking about retiring mine as a DD. I only drive it Thursday through Sunday now.

I just got off the phone with Discount tire. I can get the 35X12.50R15 MT Baja Bosses here in Alabama for $303 a tire
the cooper STT pro is $289 and they are offering an instant 110 dollar rebate.

I’ll be on a 17” wheel. That’s kinda set now. 🙂

IMG_2353.jpeg

Yup, that’s correct.

I’m holding off on getting them until I decide on my final tcase skid solution.

The Savvy TT requires modification to work w/ raised body mounts, which hurts resale value if I ever go flat belly skid later.

There's an easy way to modify Savvy inner C that doesn't cut the crossmember and allows all the parts to work whether one has the raised GR mounts or stock. Just trim the inner C to fit around the raised mount. I should have boxed in those welds! 🤪

IMG_2374.jpeg

Reactions: JpZombie
And that changes your prices some. Those are good looking wheels BTW.... Have you properly thanked your wife?

She’s amazing! Super sweetheart to buy those wheels for me. She said, “you’re going to buy them anyway, and when I saw them I was like, “YES, PLEASE!” She loves them as much as I do, almost… 😂

RuffStuff has some new lower control arm mounts with built int skids...

https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/R2709.html

View attachment 488418

View attachment 488419

View attachment 488420

Might be something to look at when you're building that Dana 44 front axle.

Interesting. They’re pretty reasonable priced too.

The bracket portion is nice. Longer weld areas as opposed to the Currie’s.

But the skid looks dumb. Protecting the joint seems like half the job of a skid… And what’s the point of that square hole?

Interesting. They’re pretty reasonable priced too.

The bracket portion is nice. Longer weld areas as opposed to the Currie’s.

But the skid looks dumb. Protecting the joint seems like half the job of a skid… And what’s the point of that square hole?

Don't know what the hole is for. I always thought the skids were just to strengthen the brackets and had nothing to do with protecting the joint? But never paid that much attention to it.

1704426091452.png

Curries mini skids. They are $60 just for the skid.

Don't know what the hole is for. I always thought the skids were just to strengthen the brackets and had nothing to do with protecting the joint? But never paid that much attention to it.
Idk how important it is. I’ve scraped my JJs here and there. Hasn’t hurt them yet, but they are pricey to replace.

View attachment 488434

Curries mini skids. They are $60 just for the skid.

Looks like curries dont protect the bottoms either.