Most used / favorite tool?

WVJeep304

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
What tool do you use the most in your shop? If different, what's your favorite tool you own? What's a tool you don't yet own for whatever reason, but really want?

I've been reorganizing my 24x45 shop lately and planning for closing in another 10x24 off the end of it. Part of the reorganizing and such will include a new 56" tool chest. So it's had me thinking about what tools I need to add, are there any I should purge from the collection, etc, which got me thinking about these questions.

I'd say my most used is my M18 Fuel impact driver. I use it multiple times a week on woodworking projects, working on my vehicles, and home/shop repairs.

My favorite is a tough choice.. Probably between the above mentioned impact driver or my Milwaukee 6 in 1 Combination Pliers. I'm not a fan of electrical work, but these work incredibly well and we're hard to beat for the money. I love my Milwaukee power tools, but this is the only Milwaukee hand tool I've ever bought.

The tool I really want, and will hopefully be the next I buy, is a Mig/Flux Core welder. Haven't welded in years, but I feel like it's time to buy a new machine and get some practice in.

Reactions: Zorba and PNW_LJ
Wanted both of these for a long time, and have quickly grown fond of them:

1704336337582.png

- M18 compact 3/8 impact driver. So compact and powerful. If it works for lug nuts and control arm bolts, it'll do just about anything I need. (I'll pull out my dad's 1/2" big boi Makita for anything it won't do).

1704336328276.png

- Tekton 73 piece 3/8 socket set. A COMPLETE socket set of 1/4-1in and 6-24mm no skips! With extensions, ratchet and breaker bar, in a very compact and affordable package. It has completely replaced my big old 3-shelf Craftsman set. Well priced on Amazon too.

Wanted both of these for a long time, and have quickly grown fond of them:

View attachment 488128
- M18 compact 3/8 impact driver. So compact and powerful. If it works for lug nuts and control arm bolts, it'll do just about anything I need. (I'll pull out my dad's 1/2" big boi Makita for anything it won't do).

View attachment 488127

- Tekton 73 piece 3/8 socket set. A COMPLETE socket set of 1/4-1in and 6-24mm no skips! With extensions, ratchet and breaker bar, in a very compact and affordable package. It has completely replaced my big old 3-shelf Craftsman set. Well priced on Amazon too.

I nearly mentioned my 105pc Craftsman socket set as my favorite, but it pains me too much to brag on the new Craftsman. I got a smokin' deal on it at Lowes a couple years ago (regular price was around $200, I got two sets for $35/each) is the only reason I own it. But, I ended up using it almost exclusively when I did my head swap. The only outside tool I brought into the mix was a 12pt socket and my air ratchet to speed things up a time or two. I like the looks of that Tekton set you posted though...I may need to look into that.

Reactions: PNW_LJ
Another regular user of an m18 impact driver. It came in a combo set with the other being a 1/2" drill. I find myself using the driver for almost every task.

The other would be my m12 impact wrench. It works on many things 😀

I nearly mentioned my 105pc Craftsman socket set as my favorite, but it pains me too much to brag on the new Craftsman. I got a smokin' deal on it at Lowes a couple years ago (regular price was around $200, I got two sets for $35/each) is the only reason I own it. But, I ended up using it almost exclusively when I did my head swap. The only outside tool I brought into the mix was a 12pt socket and my air ratchet to speed things up a time or two.
The only other socket I plan on carrying is a 12pt 13mm. I might get a 19mm and 21mm impact so my m18 doesn't beat the chromies up as much.

I like the looks of that Tekton set you posted though...I may need to look into that.

Tekton is one of the major "go to" brands now for mid-range tools now. I say it's roughly what Craftsman was 15 years ago. I haven't used mine enough to give an opinion, but folks online are very happy with it.

My most used tool set is my packout 1/4” and 3/8” set.

1704343977605.jpeg

Electrically

I like using my fluke multimeter

Power tool wise

I can’t pick one, anything Milwaukee works well.

View attachment 488127

That is a great set, especially for the trail. Very happy with mine.

10mm socket and a 1/4 120 tooth Gearwrench ratchet.

I've got a Husky socket set with a 12v rachet... usually what I grab heading out the door.

Second up would be a set of racheting box wrenches.

-Mac

That is a great set, especially for the trail. Very happy with mine.

How do you like it compared to the Milwaukee?

If they made a 3/8 set similar to Tekton in range of sockets, I'd probably consider it, just for the Packout platform.

Tekton is one of the major "go to" brands now for mid-range tools now. I say it's roughly what Craftsman was 15 years ago. I haven't used mine enough to give an opinion, but folks online are very happy with it.
I've had some Tekton tools in the past and been happy with them. Most of the sockets I've bought recently have been small 8-10 socket sets from HF, due to ease of warranty. I have a store 10min from me so it's way better than waiting on the tool truck to come around. Everything else I have is old Craftsman, Mac, Cornwell, Wright, and some of theother older US Made stuff that was worth having that I accumulated over the years.

Oh, and a Gearwrench pass-thru set that has been worth its weight in gold. But Now I want another full kit of chromes to go into the tool chest, and expand on all varieties of impact sockets (shallow, deep, mid, etc). I'll use the smaller kits I already have exclusively for travel duties or working away from my shop.

Reactions: Squatch
10mm socket and a 1/4 120 tooth Gearwrench ratchet.

I've got a Husky socket set with a 12v rachet... usually what I grab heading out the door.

Second up would be a set of racheting box wrenches.

-Mac

I absolutely love my Gearwrench 120xp's. During a trip to Advance Auto for a 12pt socket while doing my head swap, I managed to score the 120xp 1/2" drive for $9 on clearance. It was the last in the store and none of the employees knew it was marked down, so they were kind of pissed when I walked out with it. Also got some 1/2" drive deep well Gearwrench sockets on clearance for $13 in the same trip.

My most used tool set is my packout 1/4” and 3/8” set.

View attachment 488163

Electrically

I like using my fluke multimeter

Power tool wise

I can’t pick one, anything Milwaukee works well.

I'm glad to see so much love for Milwaukee around here. Where I live, I'm surrounded by Ryobi & Dewalt guys 😂. Don't get me wrong... I've owned and used all brands, but I've learned my money is best spent on the red tools with how frequently I use them.

How do you like it compared to the Milwaukee?

If they made a 3/8 set similar to Tekton in range of sockets, I'd probably consider it, just for the Packout platform.

The Milwaukee is great in the garage because you have 4 options of most of the socket sizes. The sockets also don’t roll on the concrete. It keeps everything organized. But, it’s expensive and packout leads you to buy more. Eventually I’d like a packout setup in the Jeep.

I still need the Tekton at times in the garage because it has more size range and the breaker bar is handy. It coupled with an extra ratchet is probably a better trail setup than the Milwaukee.

Gearwrench swivel (or rather "flex head") ratchets were a game changer for me.

The tool I most want to add is an M18 impact gun. A 3/8 would probably do but my impact sockets are all 1/2" drive, so I'd probably go for the most compact version of that size. Since my only impact is a pneumatic and I find it annoying to fire up the compressor and drag a hose all over the place i usually dont..which means the tool I find most often in my hands is the 24" 1/2" drive breaker bar I bought at AutoZone before @PNW_LJ was born. 🤣

My main hand tool set is this 232 piece 3 drawer Kobalt.
1704375357229.png

I found my ability to put tools back where they go is immensely improved by having a dedicated spot for each piece so I don't see ever going back to loose tools in a drawer. I strap it down in the back of my LJ when I go wheeling, though it's a bit cumbersome for that purpose so I'd like to find something and little more trim.

Overall tool that is always guaranteed to put a smile on my face is the M18 16" chainsaw. I know some people like that 2 stroke exhaust smell but I'd much rather come in smelling like wood and sweat, and ditching the ear plugs because it's only the noise of the chain.

1704375608020.png

My M12 screwdriver is, by far, my most used tool around the house. It gets enough use I don't even bother to keep it in the toolbox anymore.
milwaukee-electric-screwdrivers-2401-22-31_600.jpg