Need an impact

I’ve never once considered getting a Fuel angle grinder before this thread. You bastards are going to cost me more money.

one is none and two is one

Be careful - the addiction can be powerful. I started with one corded grinder. I now have 2 M18 flatheads, 2 M18s, and 2 corded. Oh, and just yesterday I picked up an Eastman SCT on sale to try on some rusty panels.

My name is sab, and I am a tool addict. 😏

Some people who really have the disease have a grinder for each type of abrasive. One with a cutting wheel, one with a flap disc etc..

That is exactly how I ended up with six grinders!

Reactions: P man
Eastman SCT on sale to try on some rusty panels.
It is just okay. The trigger is goofy, makes it feel like you bought a piece of crap. The rust "removal" drums are less than stellar in that they tend to be uneven cutting, not as round as they should be and tend to be delicate if you hit an edge accidentally. Eastwood also makes it near impossible to find the rubber barrel for sanding drums and the sanding bits on their site. Why in tarnation every single fitment and accessory isn't on the page along with the sander escapes any logic I am capable of.

Reactions: sab
It is just okay. The trigger is goofy, makes it feel like you bought a piece of crap. The rust "removal" drums are less than stellar in that they tend to be uneven cutting, not as round as they should be and tend to be delicate if you hit an edge accidentally. Eastwood also makes it near impossible to find the rubber barrel for sanding drums and the sanding bits on their site. Why in tarnation every single fitment and accessory isn't on the page along with the sander escapes any logic I am capable of.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of much of the Eastwood-branded stuff. I've been waiting for Milwaukee to find a way around Eastwood's patent, but grew impatient. Incidentally, Harbor Freight ignored the patent, and Eastwood filed suit a couple years ago. HF is still selling their copy, so either they won (doubtful, because theirs is a direct copy) or the lawsuit is still in process, and they're not worried about the settlement costs.

I have some unpainted sheet steel shelves that go below my welding table and plasma table, and they are rusting. I thought I'd try the SCT and see if that will shorten the time to clean them up before paint. From your comments, it sounds like I'll be disappointed. :(

I bought the wire drum, the abrasive-impregnated nylon bristle drum, and the 80-grit and 120-grit interleafed drums to try. I just searched "Contour SCT" to find stuff, and it looks like the items you had trouble finding are in those search results (unless I'm misunderstanding):

https://www.eastwood.com/search/?q=contour+sct

IMG_3641.jpeg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4039150030...pid=5337789113&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1

Maybe a deal for some of you?

Reactions: P man
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of much of the Eastwood-branded stuff. I've been waiting for Milwaukee to find a way around Eastwood's patent, but grew impatient. Incidentally, Harbor Freight ignored the patent, and Eastwood filed suit a couple years ago. HF is still selling their copy, so either they won (doubtful, because theirs is a direct copy) or the lawsuit is still in process, and they're not worried about the settlement costs.

I have some unpainted sheet steel shelves that go below my welding table and plasma table, and they are rusting. I thought I'd try the SCT and see if that will shorten the time to clean them up before paint. From your comments, it sounds like I'll be disappointed. :(

I bought the wire drum, the abrasive-impregnated nylon bristle drum, and the 80-grit and 120-grit interleafed drums to try. I just searched "Contour SCT" to find stuff, and it looks like the items you had trouble finding are in those search results (unless I'm misunderstanding):

https://www.eastwood.com/search/?q=contour+sct
Disappointment level will be relative to your expectations. If you expect Eastwood level and know that no matter what their videos show it won't be quite that good, then you'll be fine. If you are expecting Milwaukee level effectiveness, not so much.

I used one of the flap finishing drums to blend some shop scratches on a set of aluminum corners before they went to powder coat. It mostly worked and it mostly did the job, but it was not as effective as they would lead you to believe. Also where I learned that even the new never used drums are very delicate and will run out of parallel very quickly if you don't really keep an eye on them.

Any other company would have sold this set of corners as blems. But no, GR thinks it is perfectly fine to send shit out this way at full retail. If they weren't getting powder coated, there is no good way to blend them in as deep as they are.
1708183754090.png

1708183813697.png

Eastwood also makes it near impossible to find the rubber barrel for sanding drums and the sanding bits on their site.

I noticed Eastwood has the drums on sale now. Did you find the rubber barrel and sanding belts for it useful, or marginal like everything else?

I noticed Eastwood has the drums on sale now. Did you find the rubber barrel and sanding belts for it useful, or marginal like everything else?

I bought the tool to see if it would work better to detail sand the wheel openings I cut in aluminum corners. I figured a radius would work better than a flap disc. I was mistaken so my use may not be the best way to tell much. Yes, on the rubber drum and various grit sanding drums.

Reactions: sab