Tricks for getting your TJ up on jack stands

RD3

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So I was wondering this since it's a Pita for me. When I want to get Jack stands under my axles at the shock mount points I have to Jack the body up until the wheels come off the ground. Then put the Jack stand where I want it.

There's got to be a better way. Any tricks or tips? I've read you aren't supposed to jack up at the pumpkin.

You can jack up at the pumpkin. You might use a rag or something to protect it, but you will be fine. Otherwise, if you have a smaller jack, 13-14", you won't be able to get it up very high.

Another option is to join two 4x4"s to provide additional height under a shorter jack. I lift at the pumpkin and use wooden supports underneath.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
i have used the bottle jack on the axle tubes and differential for years. I do not see why you need to jack up the body.

Just place jack on one side of the axle a few inches from the pumpkin and raise it. Then place jack stand under tube.

For the rear end I use my floor jack with a rubber pad attachment under the differential.

For the front end I use 2 bottle jacks with adapters that I welded up. The axle sits on a couple of small wood blocks.

upload_2017-8-12_9-18-18.png

upload_2017-8-12_9-18-40.png

For the rear end I use my floor jack with a rubber pad attachment under the differential.

For the front end I use 2 bottle jacks with adapters that I welded up. The axle sits on a couple of small wood blocks.

View attachment 20304

View attachment 20305
I like those bottle Jack adapters. I can make some up pretty easily

Reactions: PCO6
So I was wondering this since it's a Pita for me. When I want to get Jack stands under my axles at the shock mount points I have to Jack the body up until the wheels come off the ground. Then put the Jack stand where I want it.

There's got to be a better way. Any tricks or tips? I've read you aren't supposed to jack up at the pumpkin.

Gotta say, in 35 years of working on vehicles, hobby and professionally, never heard of that one.

Reactions: CreepinDeth
I always use the pumpkin and place the stands under the axle tubes.
That's what I've always done in my limited experience. Then I started searching for a quicker/easier way and found some saying you shouldn't do that. I'm going back to my old ways and making some of the bottle jack brackets like PC06 suggested. I put my TJ up more than I have all of my other vehicles I've had combined.

Reactions: StG58
That's what I've always done in my limited experience. Then I started searching for a quicker/easier way and found some saying you shouldn't do that. I'm going back to my old ways and making some of the bottle jack brackets like PC06 suggested. I put my TJ up more than I have all of my other vehicles I've had combined.
Possibly based on the fact it could tip to one side while only being lifted in the middle of the axle...All I know is I wouldn't be jacking the body of the Jeep up when the frame is right there.This is asking for trouble due to the fact the body could get damaged. Be it wrinkled or bent. That has to be a lot of weight supoorted by just a small section of body. Thats just my opinion though.

Possibly based on the fact it could tip to one side while only being lifted in the middle of the axle...All I know is I wouldn't be jacking the body of the Jeep up when the frame is right there.This is asking for trouble due to the fact the body could get damaged. Be it wrinkled or bent. That has to be a lot of weight supoorted by just a small section of body. Thats just my opinion though.

I meant frame instead of axle, not actual body

I do always lift rear by the pumpkin, front by the tube beside the pumpking then placed on jack stands below control arm base. Never has a issue doing that. No see you having any issue as well doing it that way.
Saw people that like to go to the frame but my LJ is on 33' so requires me use a wood block and i did not like it.

Reactions: StG58
I use a high-lift farm jack and wheel hooks.
(Just kidding)

Jack from the pumpkin in the rear and the axle tube next to the pumpkin or the pumpkin in front. Haven't messed anything up or bent anything yet. Jack from the pumpkin if the axles need to be unloaded for suspension work, but jack stand the frame. TJ's have a lot of suspension travel to deal with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevin E
I used the differential with a scissor jack from a 96 chevy (my bottle jack won't lift high enough).

very quick, got it in the air high, and put the jack stands under the tubs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk