Work Bench & Garage Version 2

FarFire70

TJ Addict
Lifetime Supporting Member
It's been about 8 years since I finished electrical upgrades, insulation, & OSB for wall boards on my garage.

Now I'm ready for a update/upgrade to the garage. It works but not efficient and too much re-use. I'll add some pictures of the current garage but you can get a feel for it from pics in my build thread (Building Homer (2005 TJ Build Thread)).

I recently got back into CAD and started using Fusion 360 (having previously used Inventor & SolidWorks). So I build out a model of the garage to thing about placement of all that will live in the Garage (other than my Jeep).

New layout of the garage after moving things arounds:

Garage1.png

Garage2.png

Now that I know I can fit all the existing equipment on the other walls - that cleared the way for a first cut at a work bench:

Garage3.png

Garage4.png

Then I realized I didn't include the 8' & 6' ladders that must be stored in the garage:

Garage5.png

Clearly they interfere with the very long work bench. I honest don't think I need that long a work bench.

For scale, each work bench is 8'. I currently have a 36" old kitchen cabinet and a 4' workbench I picked up for free (and mostly use as a shelf.

So I re-evaluated and decided on a change to keep the shelving (both the existing cabinet & work bench have a lower shelf to keep up for storage).

Garage6.png

Garage7.png

So thinking a tall shelving section with still a very long work bench area.

Still need to design to the actual work benches (these are just CAD bodies) to determine BOI of wood. Planning for this to be a winter project.

What about lawn mowers, power washers, shovels and rakes, etc. All that stuff eats up room. I tried to lay my shop out in CAD once, and all that little stuff just about makes it a futile experience.

Luckily I got a new 10'x16' shed last year so all those things lives in there now. Made so much more room for the Jeep in the garage. (y)

What I'm waiting for is when the kids get older and the bikes, sports equipment, etc start to eat up space. I figure the shelves will help that I can try to use that some for their smaller outside stuff.

While it's a '2 car garage' it's really sized to function with only 1 vehicle inside.

Reactions: Mike_H
alson the blue box looks like mig welder slide that down to the right hand side of the right hand tool box and put both boxes together or another workbenc or drawers between them

Reactions: FarFire70
If the Black round cyclinder is your Air Compressor I would put that where the Ladders are and run a Tank drain thru the wall and put a drill press or Mill in the corner

also ditch one of the drawers in the tripe section and use a desk chair or drafting stool so you can sit and work on small stuff

Was thinking the same thing. I have 2 chairs I need to add to the CAD and will need a place to stick them.
Hang the Ladders from the ceiling

That's a good idea but I'll need to look at some sort of pulley system as it's a 10' ceiling.

If the Black round cyclinder is your Air Compressor I would put that where the Ladders are and run a Tank drain thru the wall and put a drill press or Mill in the corner

Yup that's the air compressor and not likely to move with this update. It has a pretty extensive copper line to chill the air and condense water out of the air for tool longevity & help when I get around to using it for painting. I live in a pretty humid area.

Tank & lines have auto-drain valves that run for 8-10 seconds to get rid of any water and drain the tank when I'm done with the job. Both are run through a water separator (you can see it at the bottom of the first picture.)

IMG_20151108_131718490.jpg

IMG_20151108_131833936.jpg

alson the blue box looks like mig welder slide that down to the right hand side of the right hand tool box and put both boxes together or another workbenc or drawers between them

Yup - that's my MIG welder. White cylinder next to it is the wet/dry vac. I need to keep the Tool cart in the middle approximately where it is because the 220 outlet is right about where the welder is parked so I can't block it with the cart's top.

What are the white boxes with the green and blue lids

Blue = trash. Green = recycling. They are currently over by the ladder so this makes them easier to get to. May move them outside but our HOA requires a covering/fencing to hide them so I'm not overly in love with that (yet).

—-

BTW - Great guessing on the vague, blocky representations!

if that round thin next to the white boxes with the green and blue lids is a fan mount that up high near the ceiling in the corner where the "black cylinder is and put it on a wall switch to turn it on and off

if that round thin next to the white boxes with the green and blue lids is a fan mount that up high near the ceiling in the corner where the "black cylinder is and put it on a wall switch to turn it on and off

And you were on such a roll with your guesses... lol!

That's the firewood hoop. Keep it stocked from a larger firewood stand at the back of the yard. Thinking about moving it to the deck to free up space.

you could mount the ladders of=ver the tool boxes horizontally

I still need to add some shelving to the model that are on the walls. A few wire rack shelves above the air compressor. I need to optimize the wall space for sure.

I also want to find space for my Chase Elliott Championship banner that's still in the box but yet my wife's Logano Championship banner is on the wall... 🤮

You can sort of see the shelves & the damned banner in the background:
PXL_20231016_230039338 (1).jpg

Also if you but Tool boxes Facebook Market place or C-list is the place I bought both of those 1500 for the double bay w/ the side drawers (on the left) and 2k for the Triple (on the right)

Reactions: FarFire70