Work Bench & Garage Version 2

I was talking about mounting the drill press to the workbench surface. This way it is secure but I need to move it for a project I can unscrew it do what I need then re-attach it. So far haven’t had to remove it, but I am glad it is attached.

Reactions: FarFire70
You've got a welder, have you considered making the frame for the workbench & shelves out of steel? I made mine out of 1.25" x 1.25" x 16 gauge sq tube & they hold up to the abuse pretty well. The frame is thinner than 2x4s & with steel it's also easier to make modifications.

PXL_20240319_001926860.jpg

PXL_20240319_001908557.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: FarFire70
You've got a welder, have you considered making the frame for the workbench & shelves out of steel? I made mine out of 1.25" x 1.25" x 16 gauge sq tube & they hold up to the abuse pretty well. The frame is thinner than 2x4s & with steel it's also easier to make modifications.

View attachment 510601

View attachment 510602

Honestly.... no. Hadn't even considered that...

What a great idea! Welp, now I need to re-consider my idea. Without looking into it yet, I wonder if cost delta may be a factor. But, that's what research is for!

Reactions: Danarch
Honestly.... no. Hadn't even considered that...

What a great idea! Welp, now I need to re-consider my idea. Without looking into it yet, I wonder if cost delta may be a factor. But, that's what research is for!

An easy way to make a bench is with some scrap pieces of pallet rack. My main bench frame is 7' long and has a 1/8" x 10' steel top over 2" x 10" lumber on it on it. It's very stable and strong. It took about 20 minutes to assemble and it would be easy to move if I wanted to.

DSC_0166.JPG

An easy way to make a bench is with some scrap pieces of pallet rack. My main bench frame is 7' long and has a 1/8" x 10' steel top over 2" x 10" lumber on it on it. It's very stable and strong. It took about 20 minutes to assemble and it would be easy to move if I wanted to.

View attachment 510667

Love the OS card cabinets, PC. I have a few of those as well.

Reactions: PCO6
Appreciate the feedback and thoughts to go metal. After thinking about it, I'm going to stay the course my wood design.

I have the tools for woodwork required for this project.

I'm not set on how I plan to use or setup all the shelves. Wood is much easier for me to move a shelf. Plus, I don't need to paint wood to avoid rust. With young twins, speed on this project is a benefit so adding painting and added work to make adjustments don't match up with life.

If I was to go metal, that would be Garage Version 3. ;) I love the idea of welding a metal workbench. I'm not at that point today.

I plan to pick up the wood this weekend and will post updates here as this project comes together.

Pulled to trigger. Ran over to HD this morning. I don't have access to a trailer or truck but I've rented their trailers in the past to bring home the OSB for the garage. Unfortunately, their semi-reasonable price for a half-day rental that I use on occasion doesn't help my items to the wife that I need a truck...

PXL_20240322_154112449.jpg

Stacked up and ready for chopping and pocket hole drilling tomorrow. I'll see if time allows for starting to mock everything up.

PXL_20240322_235408063.jpg

PXL_20240322_235411944.jpg

I've got to replace the leaky valve cover on this and get it into the shed first thing tomorrow morning, to make floor space for the woodwork.

Amazon is bringing me this Rip-Cut Circular Saw Guide tomorrow to help with ripping down the plywood:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073PFYN4T?tag=wranglerorg-20

I used a jigsaw for the OSB but it was ugly at times. Getting the right tools this time and for future projects. (y)

Got about 75% of the 2x4s cut, pocket holed, & primed with screws. (y)

Marked the same sized board on the end so the assembly should go together like a kit.

PXL_20240324_012229080.jpg

Setup an assembly line. Chopped on the floor. Pocket holes on the portable workbench.

PXL_20240324_012235532.jpg

Portable workbench is great helper that folds up 'flat' for storage. Got it from my grandfather when he went into the nursing home - he's a WW2 vet turning 100 years old next week. 🇺🇸

Amazon delivered this today for the plywood cuts.

PXL_20240324_012248660.jpg

Didn't realize it only goes up to 24" cuts and I stupidly designed for a 24.5" workbench top... So I'll use one of the 2x4's as a 'straight' end for the couple 8' cuts at 24.5" wide.

Planning to get the 2x4s done tomorrow.

LOL...I have one of the workmate portable benches too...Also gotten from my Grandfather.

If you want to buy another tool for the circular saw, pick up the guide track so you can cut straight lines anywhere you want in the panel.

LOL...I have one of the workmate portable benches too...Also gotten from my Grandfather.

If you want to buy another tool for the circular saw, pick up the guide track so you can cut straight lines anywhere you want in the panel.

I have one of the 50" guides from HF that I plan to make use of for some of the cuts across the boards, once I rip the longest-length of the boards.

I wasn't thinking when I looked at the packaging for the KREG guide's limit of 24" and my 24.5" design... On looking at it today, my brain clicked: "Just cut from the other side at 23.5", duh".

I can't believe I didn't see that immediately... lol 🤪 Just gotta walk away sometimes and the solution is then obvious.

• Haha
Reactions: JMT and John Cooper
Today, I cut, pocketed, & primed with screws the remainder of the 2x4 boards for this project. (y)

PXL_20240324_183640172.jpg

Made a few corner gussets for where the 4x4s legs join the 4x4s supporting the workbench surface. Figured I'd toss them into the design for some extra strength there.

Rest of the un-used 2x4s are for a project in the basement that will come after this is done. Some of them are more warped that I noticed at HD when picking off the slim-pickings pile that was on the shelf...

Hoping to get after some of the 4x4s during the week. I need to keep four of the 4x4s intact to use as supports when ripping the plywood.

Finished the 4x4 cuts & populated with screws.

PXL_20240329_211352170.jpg

Scrap:

PXL_20240329_211403353.jpg

I'm pretty happy with this as the leftovers. Efficient use of each board.

I'll keep the 4x4s to chop off pieces to level the workbench. And then what's left will hang out in the garage as short 4x4s are always useful.

Entertaining family for Easter so no progress this weekend. ✝️

I'll start ripping the plywood next week.

Reactions: tworley and Danarch
Cut down the plywood for the workbench top and shelves. I cut them a little wide and plan to use a router with trim bit to cut it to the final size.

PXL_20240405_230103807.jpg

Used the 4x4s to elevate the plywood. Having 2 lengths of boards on each side of the cut kept the board from folding-in and binding the blade.

Kreg's Rip Cut is a great adapter and tool for this task!

PXL_20240405_230120441.jpg

PXL_20240405_230124160.jpg

Pics are after I dry-vac'ed. The garage is covered in a file layer of dust that will get cleaned off as everything moves when I migrate to this workbench.

My plan is to finish ripping the remaining plywood boards which will be the backing to the shelving units.

If things allow, my plan is to build this tomorrow. Emerging family situation may pause that but that's an hour-to-hour thing.

Started off the day running to HF to get a router and a 1" deep flat-trim bit.

Finished cutting the remaining plywood. Here's the 'kit' for my workbench:

PXL_20240406_164108523.jpg

Still had to notch each shelf to fit inside the supports...

Got through Workbench #1 (left-most workbench section closest to the air compressor - design is basically 3 sections).

PXL_20240406_235426529.jpg

Used router to flush-cut the side piece to the top. Workbench top piece will be flush cut once both workbenches are joined together.

After ripping other plywood boards, I had this backer available and decided to save a full sheet and so this will be the backer for these shelves. The goal is just to keep items from falling out the back since there is a 4" curb in the concrete floor.

PXL_20240406_235434665.jpg

Back shot. The lower section is open to house my largest jack stands.

I'll be running 8" lag bolts from the top 4x4 into each leg to re-enforce the connection (likely overkill but they're already paid for...).

PXL_20240406_235452738.jpg

Workbench #2:

PXL_20240406_235420552.jpg

Doubled-up 4x4 is for where my vice will mount.

Base/lowest shelf is to elevate the shelved items to avoid collecting ground-rolling dust (dealt a lot with this an dog hair in the past).

Back side:

PXL_20240406_235446393.jpg

Leftover parts to put together the shelving unit tomorrow (and the thicker plywood for the workbench top):

PXL_20240406_235458586.jpg

Planning to work the shelving unit tomorrow if plans allow. Today took longer than I thought, even after all the prep cuts & drilling. But I was trying to take my time for a good outcome. Happy so far.

I can't imagine what the garage looks like when all is complete. Crazy looking how long this workbench surface will be! Just need to keep it clutter-free.