Nashville TJ's Build - Continued

Correct.

What is the benefit of a test light over a voltmeter?

Testing voltage on an open circuit is useless. You could have 1 strand of wire connected and still read B+. You could also have thousands of ohms of resistance and still measure B+. Measuring voltage with a dvom is only a useful test on a live circuit.

By using a test light you are loading the circuit to ensure you are “getting voltage” that can pass current. Still not a great test as a test light is usually .25 amp. I’m sure the motor pulls much more than that.

Reactions: reddvltj
It’s definitely convenient, and also has a bunch of multi-meter like features.

So I’m sitting here eating lunch, contemplating all this, and thinking: “I can’t believe I put a Hemi in this thing, and I’m having trouble fixing a fucking wiper motor…”

😳

Why not convert to manual wipers? I hear they work real good in the bathroom.

A quick fab project this morning.

I trailer the rig a lot, so I like to make it as easy and quick as possible to strap the rig down. In the rear, I put these tabs on the axle housing, which makes it very quick to clip on the straps. Not having to loop a strap around the axle shaft keeps me from having to climb under the rig.

It's made from 3/8" plate, and works very well (and yes, it needs some paint... 🙂)

IMG_0160.JPG

On the front, I still have to throw a strap around the tube that serves as the hydro cylinder mount and guard. Not too difficult to do, but a minor pain (as pains go).

So having an urge to get out the heavy-duty power tools, today I remedied the pain.

Last edited:
I had a small piece of 3/8" plate in my metal bin, and it was just big enough to yield two brackets.

IMG_0139.JPG

And out came the big band saw.

IMG_0142.JPG

You can't beat this thing for making short, accurate work of this kind of cut. Just like that, I had my two blanks.

IMG_0143.JPG

To make the slots which receive the clips, I first cut a 1/2" hole at the top to make a rounded end, and therefore avoid any sharp edges which would result in a stress riser. Probably would not make a difference here, but it does look much nicer.

IMG_0146.JPG

A few days ago, over on the "Favorite Tools" thread, @mrblaine posted this cool combination square - I picked one up the same day. And this morning, I put it to good use marking the slots.

IMG_0147.JPG

A few more quick cuts on the band saw, some work with the flap wheel, and the brackets were complete.

IMG_0148.JPG

And now the fun part - tacking in place and checking the fitment.

IMG_0149.JPG

Everything looked good, so I finish welded both tabs in place:

IMG_0152.JPG

And here it is with the strap connected.

IMG_0155.JPG

I pulled on the strap as hard as I could, and the bracket did not tear out of the tube. Some I'm happy with the strength...;)

And finally, a little paint:

IMG_0162.JPG

Well, actually a lot of paint. I've been needing to deal with a bit a surface rust all over the underside since running in the snow earlier this year, so I took advantage of the opportunity.

And that's it. It will be soooo much easier to strap down the rig now.

OK, so small victories...

:rolleyes: