Another TJ6 build

Tj-6rubicon

Hello, thought I’d post some pics and progress as it comes along of my project. I’ve got into to some hairy situations with my tj where I wished I had a longer wheel base. I also need more room in the back for some car seats and kids for just cruising with the family. I thought about selling it and getting an lj or jk but I love this jeep and know everything about it so here we go. It’s a 2005 rubicon, auto with atlas, 44’s and lockers,5:13’s, long arms etc. There’s so many different ways to do this conversion, I looked through all the forums and saved all the pictures of how the few people that have done it, did it.

IMG_9601.jpeg

IMG_1486.png

IMG_1233.jpeg

IMG_1245.jpeg

IMG_1300.jpeg

IMG_1301.jpeg

Very cool, can't wait to see more.
What is the reason for building a frame extension out of plate versus a piece of rectangular tubing? Do they not make anything close enough? purely curious.

Reactions: Wildman
Very cool, can't wait to see more.
What is the reason for building a frame extension out of plate versus a piece of rectangular tubing? Do they not make anything close enough? purely curious.

2 1/2 x 4 i think is a bastard size, the metal shop said they could order it but I’d have to order 20’ and it was going to end up being $400 plus

I have some 37’s sitting around I’m going to mount. I’m building new longer arms for the rear and still have it with coil lift springs. I’ll use it like that for a year or so or until I get sick of replacing ball joints or axle shafts then go 1 tons and 40’s. I know the the wheel base is kinda long for 37’s but it will be fun to see the difference. I go out with tj’s and yjs so I’m sure I’ll get hung up on stuff and they will talk shit 😀

I have some 37’s sitting around I’m going to mount. I’m building new longer arms for the rear and still have it with coil lift springs. I’ll use it like that for a year or so or until I get sick of replacing ball joints or axle shafts then go 1 tons and 40’s. I know the the wheel base is kinda long for 37’s but it will be fun to see the difference. I go out with tj’s and yjs so I’m sure I’ll get hung up on stuff and they will talk shit 😀

Is that wheelbase at 108"?

Awesome . Either the tj6 or lj tub rear half is on my list of big projects too. Like you I'm wanting more wheelbase than a tj gives.

Love it! I like to see another one done. Do you know how you are going to do the top of the tub? I sourced a couple of pieces and welded them in. I've seen where someone ordered LJ parts but it's way easier to just source them other ways. Looking forward to seeing the change. BTW, I cut up 2X4 sections and welded inside so it would work on the frame.

Reactions: Wildman
I came across these one day and couldn’t get the project out of my head and now my wife thinks I’m a dumb ass for cutting my jeep in half 😆 as far as the frame goes I just used what was available with out spending a boat load, I’m overbuilding it and pretty competent in it. I’m a la certified structural and pipe welder and will have my kids in it so I’d rather over do it. Rec-rider I’ve definitely looked at your build for inspiration just can’t do the 1tons yet.

https://genright.com/product-list-products/tj-to-lj-body-extension-panels/

IMG_1693.png

IMG_1694.png