Another TJ6 build

You aren't too far from me. I may have to drive out with mine so you can see how I did mine in more detail.

Nice, what city do you live In. I was going through your thread and looks like your son works for OTIS? Just wondering, I work for OTIS/Amtec elevator in service out of local 18

Reactions: Wildman
I have a son that works for Otis but not the one that's on this site. The one here works for a different elevator company. Both are in service.

I'm near Long Beach.

Got the tub off today

IMG_1702.jpeg

IMG_1703.jpeg

This build process is looking very familiar haha. Prepare yourself for a lot of sheet metal work. I'm the son that works for TKE, also local 18. I'm guessing you know Mike Montana, he lives in castaic also.

Reactions: Rec_Rider
This build process is looking very familiar haha. Prepare yourself for a lot of sheet metal work. I'm the son that works for TKE, also local 18. I'm guessing you know Mike Montana, he lives in castaic also.

Don’t know the guy, castaic is small and I constantly see elevator vans and trucks and don’t know any body lol, I worked for thyssenkrupp Elevator out of LA back in the day in repair as a helper.

I’ve never used bondo before so I think I’m just going to do some aluminum corners over the visible panel.

Reactions: JMT

How did you and your dad get the upper rail with its multiple layers welded smooth inside so the soft top doesn't snag? Separate the spot welds to access?

How did you and your dad get the upper rail with its multiple layers welded smooth inside so the soft top doesn't snag? Separate the spot welds to access?

Not at all. I cut the rail I received from donor tubs and just welded them in. You can weld the top easily enough then weld the bottom from outside then inside the tub. Drilling the spot welds would work just on the donor pieces. That might be the best way to go. They are only 15" long.

Writing to follow the build. With the amount of body work I have coming up, damn Canadian winters, I'm thinking of parking it on jack stands in the next year or 2 and tearing into a project like this!

Reactions: Rickyd
Not at all. I cut the rail I received from donor tubs and just welded them in. You can weld the top easily enough then weld the bottom from outside then inside the tub. Drilling the spot welds would work just on the donor pieces. That might be the best way to go. They are only 15" long.

I guess I'm concerned about getting wire and lumps in this area under the lip. But it wouldn't be hard to flatten a piece of copper pipe and contour it to make a welding backer i guess?
IMG_1693.png

I guess I'm concerned about getting wire and lumps in this area under the lip. But it wouldn't be hard to flatten a piece of copper pipe and contour it to make a welding backer i guess?
View attachment 504563

By the time you get to the point where your welding those, your butt weld stitching should be pretty good

There’s about 1/2” of dry mud in the frame 😀 had to stop today cause it started to rain. Wish I had room in the garage or a flat drive way lol

Put some shopping cart wheels on the back and go whip some mean donuts in fwd!😜

View attachment 504563

Shouldn’t be hard, I’ll make sure to post pics how I do it. Probably just butt weld the ends and plug weld the top, grind/smooth it out.

Reactions: Rickyd